Cortesía de VIPP
September 22nd marked the start of fall in the Northern Hemisphere. This season of the year is excellent for architectural photography due to the effects of nature, which delights us with wonderful red and orange foliage. To mark the beginning of this season, we have created a selection of 10 works captured in fall by prominent photographers such as Francisco Nogueira, Jorge López Conde, and Steve Montpetit.
Strong start in the artsHailing from Raleigh, N.C., Yseult grew up with a strong appreciation for the arts. Her mother was a Chaucerian scholar and her father a Hemmingway expert,
© Joe Fletcher
- Architects: Studio Schicketanz
- Location: Carmel-by-the-Sea, United States
- Area: 3521.0 ft2
- Project Year: 2017
- Photographs: Joe Fletcher
- Architecture Team: Mary Ann Gabriele Schicketanz, Studio Schicketanz Inc.
- Home Builder: Todd Hunt and Forrest Hunt, Hunt Brothers Construction, Inc.
- Landscape Architecture: Bernard Trainor, Bernard Trainor + Associates
Text description provided by the architects. Studio Schicketanz organized the design of this house around a central cleared knoll and prioritized outdoor space, producing a deep exploration into the ways in which a structure can merge with and arise from a very specific ecological language. Textured stone walls give rise to controlled cement steps leading to a crisply modernist structure detailed with geometric framing and supporting a cantilevered roof that offers a shaded penumbra around the entirety of the structure. Light is at play everywhere, from the dappled light that hits the stone wall to the reflection of the
Courtesy of Zaha Hadid Design This week, Zaha Hadid Design released a new platform wedge shoe and accompanying clutch bag with British shoe and accessory brand Charlotte Olympia. The limited edition pieces, which sport the familiar flowing forms perfected by Hadid in her architecture, are both constructed using a combination of transparent perspex and rose gold accents.
The collaboration between Hadid and Charlotte Olympia began in 2015 but was interrupted by Hadid's death last year. "Zaha Hadid Design and Charlotte Olympia have meticulously realized these pieces as Zaha originally envisioned," said the design team in a press release.
"Zaha Hadid was a phenomenal person to have known and her work and aesthetic are constant sources of inspiration for me," said Charlotte Olympia Dellal, the founder of the Charlotte Olympia brand. "It was an honor and privilege to have worked with her and to
© David Schreyer
- Architects: Büro KLK
- Location: Wasagasse 17, 1090 Wien, Austria
- Lead Architect: Heinz Lutter
- Architecture / Interior Design: Büro KLK & BFA Architects
- Area: 250.0 m2
- Project Year: 2017
- Photographs: David Schreyer
- BÜro Klk X Bfa Team: Jonathan Lutter, Christian Knapp, Fabian Lutter, Jürgen DePaul, Andreas PustSite Supervision: Cetus Baudevelopment GmbH, Oliver GusellaSite
- Supervision: Cetus Baudevelopment GmbH, Oliver Gusella
- Structural Engineering: Fröhlich & Locher
- Client: K 5 Beteiligungs GmbH
Text description provided by the architects. During the renovation works on an ancient heritage building from the late 18th century on Vienna’s traditional Berggasse, a bricked up staircase was found. It led to a twelve meters deep, second cellar area with approximately 250 square meters. Located between Votivkirche and Sigmund Freud's apartment, this cocktail and underground bar is an aesthetical gem.
Historical investigations showed that
<div class="container-video"> <iframe class="container-video__aspect-ratio" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HCSU9Pnq68g?theme=light&showinfo=0&color=white" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen> </iframe> </div>
Gunnar Birkerts, Latvian-born architect and educator, passed away on August 15, 2017, at the age of 92. A passionate advocate of a creative process he called "organic synthesis," he leaves behind dozens of built works over three continents and influenced hundreds of architectural students and colleagues through his inquiry-based process and dynamic interactions. Eric Hill and John Gallagher, in their AIA Guide to Detroit, said of Birkerts’ architecture:
Each of his works seems to be approached as an opportunity to explore the essence of an architectural problem, resulting in a statement that often exceeds the immediate project.
Born and raised in Latvia, Birkerts attended the Technische Hochschule in Stuttgart before emigrating to the United States in 1949. His interest in the architecture of Eliel and Eero Saarinen, which he read about in journals at the U.S. Information Agency, led him to Detroit to seek work
© Adrien Williams
- Architects: Atelier Général
- Location: Shefford, Canada
- Architect In Charge: Atelier Général
- Area: 2300.0 ft2
- Project Year: 2017
- Photographs: Adrien Williams
- Team: Alexis Naylor, Stéphanie Plourde, Xavier Crépeau Bellefeuille, Patrick Lévesque
Text description provided by the architects. Built on the slope of Mount Shefford, the residence bridges an aerial view on one side and an ascending, rugged topography, populated by rocks and maples, on the other.
The initial idea for this project was to merge with the mountain, to nestle into the terrain until it becomes one with the residence. Entering the site from below, we see a black volume that seems to emerge from the slope and detach itself from the surrounding vegetation. Its dark truncated shape echoes the rocky projections that inhabit the site. The living areas, located upstairs, offer the occupant an intimate relationship to the site,
HOK's Mercedes-Benz Stadium is officially the first LEED Platinum certified professional sports stadium in the United States. The new home to the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons boasts the highest sports venue LEED score at 88 total points.
There is much more to learn from this stadium than just its unique retractable roof system. The two-million-square-foot venue is an unprecedented model for sustainability and performance innovation. Its notable design solutions conserve water, lighting, and energy.
We set a goal of achieving the highest LEED rating because it was the right thing to do for our city and the environment. With this achievement, we have a powerful new platform to showcase to the industry and to our fans that building sustainably and responsibly is possible for a venue of any type, size and scale, said Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United owner and chairman, Arthur Blank.
In an exclusive half-hour interview with Graham Stirk, partner at Richard Rogers' London-based practice RSHP (Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners), Monocle's Tom Edwards dives into discussing the complexity of some of the practice’s recent projects. Stirk is best known for designing some of the firm's iconic London buildings, such as the Leadenhall Building (or “Cheesegrater”) and the more controversial NEO Bankside. Check out more episodes in Monocle's The Big Interview series.
<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/345879302&color=%23211fbf&auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=false&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=false&visual=true"></iframe>
<img src="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ArchDaily/~4/zw2nKSQEIls" height="1" width="1" alt=""/>
© Fernando Alda
- Architects: GANA Arquitectura
- Location: Av. de Velázquez, 215, 29004 Málaga, Spain
- Author Architects: Antonio José Galisteo Espartero, Álvaro Fernández Navarro, Francisco Jesús Camacho Gómez
- Design Team: David Melero Herrera, María García Ostos, Sandra Peralto Galán, Marta Sevillano Díez del Corral
- Area: 0.0 m2
- Project Year: 2017
- Photographs: Fernando Alda
- Lawyer: Joaquín Fernández Navarro
- Technical Architect: Adrián Delgado Moreno
- Industrial Technical Engineers: Juan Francisco Mata Díaz, Francisco Javier López Alarcón, Dionisio Aguilera Ruiz, Joaquín Andrade Casquero
- Promoter: Cervezas Victoria 1928 S.L.
Text description provided by the architects. When an amazing brand like Victoria decides to come back to its city, location becomes the first thing to carefully analyze in order to achieve the dream of giving back to Malaga citizen their traditional beer. Thus, this factory is located between two of the main roads of the city, as its new entrance milestone, while
© Alex Attard
- Architects: Architecture Project, Jens Bruenslow
- Location: Naxxar, Malta
- Area: 778.0 m2
- Project Year: 2016
- Photographs: Alex Attard, Julian Vassallo
Text description provided by the architects. Villa Castro is located in the town of Naxxar, in the center of the island of Malta. Its location on the perimeter of an Urban Conservation Area has led to drastic modification of the original setting of the villa, recent building developments destroying irreversibly its original context. The project programme was organized around the needs of a family and guestrooms to accommodate relatives and friends. The garden, as well as the two internal courtyards, were preserved and, following an unsuccessful attempt at acquiring the remaining portion of the garden immediately adjacent to the existing one, an extension was designed and grafted on the boundary wall to mitigate the negative visual impact of the recent neighboring
© Mohammad Shah Hosseini
- Architects: Design Core [4s] Architects & Urban Designers
- Location: Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
- Lead Architects: Sam Tehranchi
- Design Team: Amirhosein Kheradmand, Ali mohammad Heidari, Ali Nabi, Hamidreza Jahani moghadam, Mehdi Ghiaie, Ali Ramezanali, Ehsan Ghasemlou
- Area: 65000.0 m2
- Project Year: 2017
- Photographs: Mohammad Shah Hosseini, Ali Daghigh
- Technical Design & Executive Plans Team: Naser naghdi, Mohammad Motamedinia, Mansour Naghdi, Ali Nabi, Fatemeh Jafari, Bita Rostami, Oldouz Akhlaghi
- Interior Architecture Team: Hamid Nozaripour, Saeed Soraie, Hamed Kalateh, Azin Soltani, Sahar Javadi, Raheleh Rahmati
- Landescape Design Team: Hoda Alavi tabari, Golshan Norasteh far, Pouya Najian, Bahram Khadiv, Mehdi Mahdavi, Maryam Malekzadeh
- Supervision Experts & Engineering Services At Execution Time: Nima Ahi, Mohammad Motamedi Nia, Ali Nabi, Neda Arian, Neda Alinezhad, Mehdi Eghbali, Saeed Ali shah, Javad Ebrahimi
- Structural Design: Portal Consultants
- Mep Design: M.Serkisians, V.Ghasemi and B.Eksiri
- Architectural Acoustics Consulting: WSDG, Basel, Switzerland
- Continue reading "Tehran Book Garden / Design Core [4s] Architects & Urban Designers"